Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Living in the mystic


I am a young girl, but I'm so much more. I am a French artist. I am a social activist. I am a part of the bread march. I am a German woman putting her country back together after destruction caused by hatred. I am climbing mount everest. I am standing on the moon. I can fly. I have an imaginary friend named William Gilbert, he enjoys tea on Sunday afternoons and wrestling dragons in the evenings. My mother is an elf and my father is a great king. My country needs me to save them from an evil sorcerer. I can leap over tall buildings in a single bound.
 In my imagination I am anything and everything. There are no limits, no guidelines and absolutely no rules. 
And isn't it lovely? The freedom to be whoever we please, with no one telling us we don't reach their expectations. That our smiles aren't white enough or our clothes aren't pressed to their liking. We can be wild and free. Disheveled hair and bare feet, running through the forest of our minds stopping only to catch our breath. The mystery of the mind spreads wide and far, we need only to let go and open up. 
We are so clouded with insecurity and fear. We used to be so young and pure, without a care in the world. We were whoever we wanted to be and no ones opinions mattered as much as our own. If we wanted to explore our minds we did, we got our ideas out, made messes and mistakes. Now we're so tied up in insecurity that nothing reaches our lips. We can't improvise, we can't even imagine things past our own eyes.  If it's not seen, it's not real. But I'm certain there is a multitude of things we will never begin to understand about our universe. The unknowing is wonderful, it leaves so much up to the imagination. I think we were meant to explore theories and ideas, to make up stories to live in our heads as well as in the world. Our brains are beautiful things that make the world a colourful place. Without imagination everything becomes so gray. 

So embrace the child in yourself, let go for a little while. Stop trying to have everything figured out and let yourself be a messy, jubilant child. Wander a bit, get lost, play in the mud. Do something incredibly stupid. And tell people you love them without hesitation. Do something that terrifies you everyday and push yourself out of all that fear you live in. 
I will join you.

No comments:

Post a Comment